Teva Tip 17 - Treating Poisonous Snake Bites
Most of you will never have to worry about treating the bite of a venomous snake. But, here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- You are more likely to get a massive dose of venom from a young poisonous snake than from a mature snake. The young fellows unload everything at
once while a mature snake will keep some ammo in reserve – just in case the situation gets serious.
- It is very possible to be bitten by a venomous snake and receive no injection of poison at all.
"Dry bites" are not uncommon. If a snake has already used its store of venom on prey, it will still bite but have nothing to inject.
- If you are bitten by a snake, you will want to do your best to identify or be able to describe the snake.
The last thing you want is to receive treatment when you don't need it. However, it is not uncommon for a person who is bitten to become so agitated that they forget to look for identifying marks, color, etc. of the snake that bit them.
- Under all circumstances, REMAIN AS CALM AS POSSIBLE.
Fear causes the heart to pump faster and if there is venom in the system, it will spread a lot quicker.
- The only effective snakebite kit that I know of is called the Sawyer Extractor. It is sold in most camping stores and looks like a hypodermic
needle without the needle. Instead, it comes with a variety of plastic suction caps. When the Extractor is applied, it creates a vacuum which sucks the skin into the plastic cup and sucks the venom out.
- If you have no Sawyer Extractor kit, DO NOT TRY TO SUCK THE VENOM OUT WITH YOU MOUTH. YOU CAN DIE DOING THIS AND STILL NOT HELP THE PERSON WHO HAS
- If there is no other option, place a tourniquet between the bite and the heart but be certain to loosen it every 5 or 10 minutes.
Leave in place 10 minutes and loosen for a minute and then reapply pressure, etc. until you receive medical attention.